Destruction of Records

Notice of Destruction of Special Education Records 2021

Notice Date: August 3, 2021

Special education records collected by the following Independent School Districts:

Chilton ISD, Hallsburg ISD, Marlin ISD, Mart ISD, Riesel ISD, Rosebud-Lott ISD, and Westphalia ISD;

related to the identification, evaluation, educational placement, or the provision of special education services in the district, must be maintained under state and federal laws for a period of five (5) years after special education services have ended for the student. Special Education services end when the student is no longer eligible for services, graduates, completes his or her educational program at age 22, or moves from the district.

This notification is to inform parents/guardians and former students of the above school districts intent to destroy the Special Education records of students who are no longer receiving Special Education services as of the end of the 2015-2016 school year. These records will be destroyed in accordance with state law unless the parent/guardian or eligible (adult) student notifies the school district otherwise.

After five years, the records are no longer used by the above mentioned districts, but they may be useful to the parent/guardian or former student in applying for Social Security benefits, rehabilitation services, college entrance, etc.

Records not requested by September 30, 2021 will be destroyed beginning October 5, 2021. With proof of identity, the parent/guardian or eligible (adult) student may request a copy of the records in person or by mail.

In Person:

Falls Education Cooperative

3162 State Highway 6 Bypass

Marlin, TX 76691

By Mail: 

Falls Education Cooperative

Special Education Dept., Attn: Teri Rinewalt

3162 State Highway 6

Marlin, TX 76691

The written request for special education records scheduled for destruction must include the following information:

  • Student’s full legal name
  • Student’s date of birth
  • Date services ended
  • Name and relationship of person requesting copies
  • Statement indicating there is no legal action against you that prohibits your rights to the records
  • Signature and date (adult student or legal guardian)
  • How you would like to receive the records
  • By Mail
    • Provide the mailing address and submit a copy of the requestor’s valid photo ID along with the request
  • Pick up in Person
    • Provide contact information (phone number, email address) for notification when the records are available for pick up
    • The requestor’s valid photo ID must be presented at the time the records are picked up.